Blog:2 Experiential Learning: Fostering Active Engagement and Real-World Application

After our group discussion, I have chosen experiential learning as my topic. Firstly, I would like to explain what experiential learning is. The learning approach emphasizes the learners’ personal experiences and direct engagement. It differs from traditional learning methods by emphasizing active student participation and practical application of knowledge and skills. The core idea of experiential learning is to facilitate learning through the learners’ direct involvement and experiences. For example, in chemistry or physics classes, students arrive at final answers and result through their firsthand experiences and experimentation. Experiential learning also emphasizes the learner’s interaction with the real world, encouraging reflection and meaningful learning outcomes. This approach encourages students to actively explore and discover knowledge, fostering problem-solving abilities, teamwork skills, and creativity. To provide a better understanding of experiential learning, I conducted some online research and found that it can be divided into the following key elements:

1. Practical Learning: Students must actively participate and engage in learning, gaining desired answers and results through their firsthand experiences.
  2. Team Collaboration: Students work collaboratively to solve problems, complete projects, or engage in practical activities, fostering a spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
  3. Real-world Application: Experiential learning connects learning with real-life applications. Students apply the concepts and skills they have learned to real-world contexts, understanding their significance and practical value in everyday life and professional environments.
  4. Reflection and Summation: Students reflect on their experiences and summarize their learning outcomes, transforming their experiences into meaningful knowledge and insights.

Choosing experiential learning as a learning method offers numerous benefits, such as enhancing students’ practical application and teamwork abilities. However, there are also some drawbacks. For example, experiential learning may not be suitable for every individual, especially those with physical disabilities or limited mobility who may face challenges participating in this learning approach. In conclusion, various learning methods are available, and each individual should select the one that suits their preferences and maximizes their learning potential.

What is experiential learning?. Institute for Experiential Learning. (2021, October 22). https://experientiallearninginstitute.org/resources/what-is-experiential-learning/

1. chloe

Hello Zhenshang, your explanation of experiential learning was very informative. I liked how you outlined how this could be used successfully in a classroom. However, I’m curious to know your perspective on the potential downsides of using this learning method in a classroom.

2. stephanie

Hi, ZhenShang!You’ve done a great job of explaining experiential learning as a way for students to assimilate learning on their own through collaboration and independent experimentation, which is great! I look forward to seeing how you can integrate experiential learning with your goals afterwards. Since our topic is online learning, I look forward to your final output.

3. Anastassiya

Hi Zhenshang! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on experiential learning. It’s always great to hear different perspectives on this topic. From what you said, it seems like you have a good understanding of the key elements involved and the potential benefits, as well as some of the drawbacks. It’s definitely a complex approach, but when done well, it can be incredibly effective. How would you address the weaknesses?